Sunday 6 January 2008

More world corrupting (well, corrupting my colleagues, anyway)

Made some progess in work just before Christmas. I'd made a cheesecake for a Christmas party but then ended up not being able to go to the party because it was the day before my coursework was due in and hadn't finished it, and after staring at the huge cheesecake sitting in the fridge for a day or so I took it to work for my colleagues to dispose of it for me. It helps that they like food at our place and there's lots of people to eat it, we even have a specific food table in the staffroom for when anyone brings food in to share.

So they helped themselves to cheesecake at various points during lunch/tea breaks, I came in a bit late for my tea break and a group of colleagues were just finishing off the last bits, told me how delicious it was and asked what was in it... "silken what? Tofu? What's that then? What do you mean dairy-free cream cheese?" and so on. But they'd already eaten it and told me how great it was, so no backtracking on their opinions :-).

Then they all started firing questions at me about vegetarianism/veganism, but in a good way, because they were curious and wanted to know stuff. Fortunately another vegetarian colleague was there and she helped field some of the questions. A couple of days after, one of them asked where I got my vegetarian shoes from because her daughter was interested in getting some.

The other one was that we were asked to bring food in for Christmas eve, I brought in a recent invention, savoury tartlets with red onions, red and yellow peppers and cashew nut sauce, and I had lots of positive comments about how nice they were. We'd all brought way too much food and there was loads left over, but mine all disappeared :-). A lot of my colleagues probably freak out at the concept of veganism, but if I can introduce them to the food first and then the concept afterwards they might not be quite so shocked, given that most people's first reaction is to assume you must live on twigs and stuff... More cheesecake anyone?

No comments: